Electrical Hazards You Had No Idea About

outlet-on-fireYour home’s pretty safe, right? You don’t leave candles unattended, your security system is updated, and you don’t – ever – run with scissors.

However, despite your best efforts, there may be electrical hazards lurking just below the surface. Unsure what those might be? That’s okay! We’ve got a list of electrical hazards below, broken down for your convenience. Consider reading this list your home-related work for the week, so you can cut yourself some slack in the dishes department.


Whether it’s white light or fluorescent blue, your light bulbs must be the correct wattage for the fixture in which they rest. If the bulb you are using provides more wattage than what is recommended for the fixture, overheating and a possible electrical fire can occur. Just.Say. No.

Extension Cords

Modern households are full of extension cords to help us power all of our appliances and gadgets. While these cords do their thing, be sure to keep them out of heavily-trafficked areas and make sure they are free from cracks and other damage, all of which could – you guessed it – cause a fire.

Also, consider your wiring options before leaping right to an extension cord. If you can plug directly into an outlet, do so. One way to thin out your use of extension cords is to prioritize your gadgets. If you aren’t using your Playstation daily, consider unplugging it to leave space for another item.

Check Your Outlets

If any of your household outlets don’t work, your wiring may be faulty. The same goes for outlets that are buzzing or unusually warm. Contact a professional electrician if any of these issues are coming up in your home.


If your appliances are not plugged into ground fault circuit interruptor (GFCI) outlets, contact an electrician immediately. These types of outlets work to stop circuits that are overloaded, before they cause electrical fires.

Consider your habits surrounding appliances, large and small. Are your appliances (including hair dryers and toasters) plugged in even when they are not in use? Stop that and unplug them. These tools are silently pulling electricity and could be an electrical hazard if they come into contact with water.

Finally, if any of your appliances produce a shock when you touch them, make sure that you contact a repair specialist to check it for issues. In the meantime, keep your and your family’s hands away from the appliance in question.

Here at Prairie Electric, we are 100% invested in your safety and comfort. Take a few minutes to review these safety tips and save yourself the danger and stress of a home fire.

Interested in a good-paying job in a growing industry and want to work in an encouraging work environment? Prairie Electric looks forward to hearing from you.




Browse projects